Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Great Expectations

Expectations come in all shapes and sizes, from many different sources.  Some are happy, some anxiety-ridden, some heavy, some light, some temporary, others final. 

For instance, expecting a baby.  Waiting weeks and months to wonder what the baby will look like, how big they will be, and what their cry will sound like.  Those were happy, yet for the NICU nurse in me, anxiety-filled months of expectation.

Expectations from work.  Tasks to be done and completed to the best of your ability.  As we are growing up, expectations from parents and teachers to fulfill our responsibilities in our daily activities, behavior, and actions.

This weekend I watched my now 9-year-old's expectations of her birthday celebrations play out.  And if you know Sarah, you know she is sweeter than Blue Bell, and lets every emotion show on her face as they come to her heart.  Everything was going absolutely perfect until a boy she expected to come to her birthday celebration did not make it.  She had a terrific, super fun time with her friends there...there's no doubt about it...but she was let down in  her expectation of this kiddo's arrival.  (Trust me, she made it a point to find out why on Monday at school)  :)

It's human, I believe, to become disappointed when things don't live up to our expectations.  Why, some of us will even admit that the personal expectations we put on ourselves are the hardest to overcome (even yours truly).

Christmas time is full of expectation! The world is rejoicing in the birth of our Savior, and we are expectant  of His return...similar to how Mary and Joseph were expecting His arrival thousands of years ago.  Can you imagine?  Looking at your newborn, feeling the thrill, excitement, and wonder of what God has planned for you and this baby.  Feeling the expectation God has for you as you mother His child?

Let's face it, I'll admit that I have some expectations for God, Himself.   And I KNOW that my problems are minor compared to others in this world...I am not trying at all to magnify anything my family is dealing with....just sharing.  Anyway, I am expecting...anticipating...complete healing for my husband.  And to add to the expectation...I want it on this side of heaven.  I am expecting Him to heal Chad completely....but I want it on my own terms.  That's not what we are promised, though.  We are promised in His Word that He will take care of us.  He will provide and care for us...never leave us.  And that's what I will cling to.

There is an ornament that was given to me by one of my sisters 12 years ago, the year I was expecting Seth.  Now it means something completely different to us.  We are still expecting a miracle.
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever, Amen!"--Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment